Strategies For Social And Emotional Learning
An organisation that calls itself The Collaborative for Academic, Social and Emotional Learning (CASEL) promotes the idea that students perform better when academics are combined with social and emotional learning (SEL).
According to CASEL, children can learn how to deal with their emotions and relationships with others in healthy ways just as they can learn language or mathematics skills.
Key SEL skills include:
- Self-awareness (recognizing feelings and managing them)
- Understanding others (developing empathy)
- Making responsible decisions (considering long-term consequences)
- Understanding yourself (handling emotions and dealing with obstacles)
- Building healthy relationships (saying no to negative peer pressure)
Mastering these skills helps children succeed in school and life, according to CASEL. They become happier and more confident.
Parents can foster social and emotional learning at home. Find out more athttp://www.casel.org/sel/families.php#ten